I LOVED this recipe!!!! It was AMAZING! It is very had finding recipes for desserts that don’t contain Chocolate. It seems that everyone out in blog world is obsessed with chocolate. I have never really been a fan of the stuff. Which is why this recipes was PERFECT! Thank you Ezra!!!
( This picture was also from Ezra’s site)
Adapted from Alice Waters’ “The Art of Simple Food”
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
6 baked 2-inch Cream Biscuits (recipe below)
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and sugar.
2. Remove 1 cup of the strawberry mixture, and purée it in a blender or food processor. Return the purée to the rest of the strawberries; stir. Set aside at least 15 minutes.
3. In a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, whip together the cream, vanilla and sugar until it starts to form soft peaks.
4. Slice the Cream Biscuits in half. For each biscuit, spoon the strawberry mixture onto the bottom half, and add a dollop of whipped cream. Top with the other biscuit half, and dust it with powdered sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar (if using) and baking powder.
3. Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender or your fingertips. The pieces should be the size of small peas.
4. Measure cream; set aside 1 tablespoon. Add the remaining cream to the flour, and stir with a fork until the mixture just comes together. Lightly knead the dough a few times in the bowl, turn it out onto a lightly floured board, and roll out about 3/4 inch thick.
5. Cut six 2-inch circles or squares out of the dough. Reroll the scraps, if necessary.
6. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment, and brush the tops with the tablespoon of cream.
7. Bake for 17 minutes or until golden and done.